1 Cup warm water
2 level tsp dried yeast
¼ Cup MGO 30 Manuka Honey
1 tsp Salt
1 large Egg
3 Cups Plain Flour
2 Tbsp Milk with 1 tsp Manuka Honey mixed in
Food colour – Red and yellow
Whole Cloves – 12
1. Pour the warm water into a large mixing bowl (the water should be approx. 38-40 C) Sprinkle the dried yeast over the water and give a light stir, set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Add the Honey, salt and egg to the water and yeast, mix thoroughly. Add the 3 cups of flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it becomes a dough.
3. Add the dough to an electric mixer and knead with the dough hook attachment for about 5 minutes or knead by hand for about 10 minutes or until dough is an elastic consistency.
4. Lightly grease a large bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Cover and set aside in a warm place for 2 hours to rise.
5. Once risen, remove the dough and place onto a floured surface. Knead for 1 minute and divide the dough into 12 equal size portions. Roll each portion into balls. Allow the balls to rest for another 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200 C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
6. Take a good length of string find the middle of it and lay it over a roll, turn the roll over and tie the string, continue laying the string on different angles and flipping the roll until you have eight sections. See attached photo. Make a hole in the top with a skewer and insert a clove.
7. Place the rolls on the lined tray and add the red and yellow food colouring, stir until it becomes orange. Brush the rolls with the coloured milk mixture and bake in the oven for 11-15 minutes.
8. Cool on a wire rack. Once cooled carefully remove the string.