180 g Salted Butter, room temperature
1/2 Cup Nature's Gold Manuka Honey MGO 30
1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract
3 cups Plain Flour
1 pkt Queen's Royal Icing Mix
1. In an electric mixer, beat the butter with the honey until combined.
2. Mix in the Vanilla Bean Paste and the egg.
3. In batches, slowly add the flour and mix well after each addition until thoroughly combined.
4. Remove the dough and the crumbs from the mixing bowl and work into a ball shape. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 170C.
6. Cut the dough in half and roll out one half of the dough onto a floured surface until just over 1/2 cm thick. Cut dough into heart shapes and place on a lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until they start to brown a little at the edges. Place on a wire rack to cool.
8. Repeat the process with the other half of the dough.
9. Once the cookies have completely cooled, mix the royal icing with enough water to be able to ice the cookies without the mixture running over the sides. (I like to pipe around the edges with a thin line and then flood the middle with icing after about 15 minutes.)
10. Sprinkle the iced cookies with the coloured sugar and allow 8 hours if you would like them to set hard.